Costa Rica Auto Import Rates. Costa Rican officials have officially announced a tax reduction that aims to not only lower the price of used cars but to also reduce pollution caused by older cars.
The current (old) import taxes brakes down as follows:
- New Cars and vehicles up to 3 years old = 30% Tax
- Vehicles from 4-5 years old = 40% Tax
- Vehicles that are 6 years or older = 53% Tax
The NEW import tax rates will be:
- New Cars and vehicles up to 6 years old = 30% Tax
- Cars 7 years or older = 40-48% Gradual Tax Rate
Costa Rica Auto Import Rates. With an estimated 1/3 of the cars in circulation in Costa Rica (359,000 registered) between 13 and 20 years old, officials hop the new import tax rate on cars will decrease the inflated price of newer more pollution friendly vehicles. The price drop is scheduled to take effect on August 17th.
This is just the latest in an attempt to reduce the carbon pollution from vehicles on the road. In July Costa Rica already reduced the import tax on new hybrid/electric to 10%.
Other taxes and custom fees
- Consumption Tax is applicable on some goods at rates between 0% and 95% calculated on the sum of the CIF value and the duty.
- GE (VAT on estimated earnings) is applicable on some goods at rates between 0% and 125% calculated on the sum of the CIF value, duty, Consumption Tax, Law 6946, and Agrar Tax if applicable,
- Golfito Tax (Tourism Development tax) is applicable on most goods at rates between 1% and 30% calculated on the sum of the CIF value and the duty.
- Law 6946 (National Emergency Law) is applicable on all imports at rates between 0% and 1% calculated on the sum of the CIF value and the duty.